Semoball

High School Soccer Forum: PB School Board Allows Bullies to Play in Playoff Games

Posted by citizenofPB on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 2:52 PM:

Last Friday 4 Poplar Bluff Mules Soccer players were suspended for throwing water/gatorade bottles at a student on their way to soccer practice. This had been happening for weeks, and the parents of the child getting hit finally reported it.

The HS Principal suspended all students involved with backing of the Athletic Director and Superintendent of Schools. The School Board president then received phone calls from the players parents asking them to reinstate the players for Saturdays Quarterfinal soccer game. The president then called fellow board members to plead the case, and the players were reinstated and allowed to play on Saturday after they admitted to hitting the kid with the bottles on Friday morning.

What are we teaching these kids? Mommy and Daddy can bail them out after they repeatedly bullied a fellow student? That a game is more important then morals and values? This makes me sick, and the community of Poplar Bluff needs to take action.

To top it off, one of the players that was reinstated for the game was ejected Saturday during the game.

Replies (25)

• So what do you expect a message board to do? Go to the school board and really do something instead of being a gossip bird. Take action if you feel that strongly about it.

-- Posted by Coachken on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 2:58 PM
  • Suspended for throwing water bottles?? Really. I got stuffed in a trash can when I was a freshman and I survived! Guess the times have really changed. Helicopter parents are killing this country.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 3:28 PM
  • I have a very hard time believing they were suspended solely for throwing water bottles. Either way, that team is the most undisciplined out of control team in the area.

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 3:31 PM
  • Take the problem about the school board to the school board? Makes sense.

-- Posted by citizenofPB on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 5:21 PM
  • Then what else are you going to do. Get on a message board and fix the issue. Great job. Slow day in the hen house there in PB?

-- Posted by Coachken on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 6:09 PM

Tell KFVS12

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 6:32 PM
  • I hope it's your kid. I hope even more it continues to happen. I hope even more than that your kid stands up for himself. And then maybe the kid won't be a wuss the rest of his life

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 7:33 PM
  • Soccer ejections take place more frequently. Getting ejected in soccer is different than other sports.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 7:49 PM
  • I deleted my original post on my thoughts on the issue after reading the initial post. I've heard multiple stories on the controversy. I haven't researched it enough to add my thoughts at this time.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:00 PM

Bill, you are pretty clueless on a lot of issues. There is nothing new here. More drivel and chest puffing from you.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:07 PM

Soccer has playoffs? How cute.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:41 PM
  • You got me Jolly, awfully Clueless

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:54 PM
  • Me and Shakespeare don't agree as much as me and Mr. Logic jwhitlock. But maybe we al three might get along really well if we met and had dinner.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:59 PM
  • bill shakes. I understand your point about kids standing up for themselves. But to say that you hope it continues is sad. What If the kid is a special needs kid? What if the kid is a 100lb freshman and the other kids are much bigger and older? Classifying a kid as a wuss without having any firsthand information on the subject ****** me off because I can't stand when adults take shots at kids. Bulletman, what if the water bottles were full of water? What if the were 2 feet away and throwing the bottles as hard as they could? I'd rather be a helicopter parent than a parent who thinks its okay for kids to bully others and not be punished. And I can't stand helicopter parents. I say all of this assuming this is true, which it's possible we are not getting all of the story.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:00 PM
  • Anyone that thinks joking about bullying in any way is the real wuss. Be man enough to stand up for those in need. That is what takes real courage!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:58 PM
  • Trust me if it was a special needs kid. It would've been MORE than stressed that it was. Most people learn to survive in the world. Especially when they're not babied

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 12:51 AM
  • You guys are all on here like your teaching a Highschool seminar on bullying.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 12:57 AM
  • What if by standing up for himself he brings a gun to school and starts shooting? Would you be ok with it then? Just giving another perspective about things cause now-a-days that happens more than anyone likes.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:38 AM
  • Oh and since the game already happened and they played the only thing you can probably do about the school board is get the story out there and vote them out come election time I'm thinking.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:40 AM
  • Bill, I'm all for kids standing up for themselves. I'm sick of the wussification of America. However, you're wrong. YOu can't generalize this situation. Not every kid has it in them to stand up for themselves. That doesn't make them a wuss. It might mean they lack in confidence or ability. For example, a 98lb freshman may quiver in the sight of four other kids that are twice his size. You need to have an understand of all kinds of kids to understand this situation, not generalize.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 6:50 AM
  • Dustin, being ejected in Soccer is not really that different than other sports. It is only different in that it is more subjective. I guarantee the player in question above was not ejected due to such offenses as denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity by handling the ball, or denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity by fouling with no defenders behind that player. Also, it would not be surprising if certain players on that team were bullies, but like I said earlier, it comes from their head coach having absolutely no control over them, and that shows with how they play.

-- Posted by SEMOSportsfan1 on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 9:25 AM
  • They should be suspended just for playing soccer.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 3:11 PM
  • lol T -roll good one

School board over ruled the Adm not much more needs to be said.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 7:36 PM
  • Purely based on the original post and comments thereafter, was the punishment to harsh? Maybe. But to say its the kid never tried standing up for himself, or that he is a wuss, is just cruel. Plus, consider this, were more than just bottles thrown? Maybe words? High school for many is cruel place. IMO, if the kids admitted to doing it, were suspended, then they should accept their punishment.

Again, based only on this post. I will try to research the story later.

-- Posted by MOvballfan on Sat, Nov 15, 2014, at 8:40 PM
  • The Poplar Bluff newspaper reported Thursday that the two adults (17 years old) were going to receive criminal summons to court, and the two juveniles (15 years old) were being referred to juvenile authorities for consideration of action. Does that change any opinions?

-- Posted by Marion_Morrison on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 8:08 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: