Semoball

Southeast Missouri State Sports Forum: Are the Nutts serious?

Posted by wjb9182 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:25 PM:

Is Lucas Nutt really the starting point guard on a Division I basketball team? Is Dickey Nutt serious? And why is Logan Nutt on the bench? What is he contributing to the team? Does any other non-coach former player just sit in the middle of the bench - in any program? Does any Division I player really want to be part of a team that is coached by a man who gives his own son an absurd amount of unearned PT simply because he's his son? I've heard of tee-ball and church league coaches playing their own kids more than the others, but in college basketball? Division I? Are the Nutts serious?

Replies (25)

• Coach Nutt took over a program that was a complete mess and in less than three years he has them in a competive situation . Played Mizzou tough on the road even. If Porter wouldn't have gotten hurt they would have about 10 wins. Lucas is a hard worker.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:54 PM
  • Yeah well so was Rudy but you didn't see him in the starting lineup, did you?

-- Posted by wjb9182 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 8:04 PM
  • wjb9182 What is your problem? Other than making an a*(*&^ of yourself

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 8:22 PM
  • I agree that SEMO has made great strides since Nutt has arrived. But Lucas Nutt is not the answer at point guard. Dickey recruits the heck out of these "combo guards", but never tries to upgrade the point guard position. It is what it is, but if you think that Lucas Nutt is a division point guard, you don't know a whole lot about basketball. That being said, it's a heck of a lot of fun to watch nino and stone play this year! Gets some guards to go with them and we'd be a legit contender.

-- Posted by dukefan on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 8:57 PM
  • Logan is a Graduate Assistant so just chill. And let's not forget that Lucas LED THE OVC in assist-to-turnover ratio last year. That shows what his role is. He is a floor general and distributor, not a scorer.

It seems clear to me that the people who live on semoball making these comments don't know basketball (dukefan)

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 10:50 AM
  • Grizz, when you take up for Lucas it cracks me up. Thanks for the laugh.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • Do you think Lucas is a legit D-1 defender too? The reason SEMO will struggle at times this year is due to our guard play. We can't pressure the ball at all. If you watch them play, they have to give the guards all kinds of space to try and prevent them from taking it to the hole. Assists and lack of turnovers only take you so far. If you can't prevent the other team from scoring, you will still lose.

-- Posted by dukefan on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 2:02 PM

grizzfan93 comes to SEMO defense again, trying to sale us on the purpose of some of the terrible D-1 players that SEMO sign and plays.

I'll make the statemnet again it's two point guards in high school right now that I'd sign next season to play in place of those two. One plays for Sikeston and the other plays for Charleston.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 2:44 PM

Dukefan,

I think you're being harsh and unfair to Coach Nutt.

Wouldn't you consider signing C.J. Reese an upgrade at PG, who will be suiting up for the next game? Here's the scoop on him if you're not familiar

Thursday, November 10, 2011

By Marty Mishow ~ Southeast Missourian

A pure point guard who at one time received interest from several Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball programs is headed to Southeast Missouri State.

C.J. Reese, rated among the nation's top 100 high school point guards by ESPN, said Wednesday he signed a letter of intent with Southeast on the opening day of the NCAA's weeklong early signing period.

"I'm pretty excited," Reese said.

Reese, who is listed on various websites as 6 foot 2 and 195 pounds, said he actually is 6-3 and 215.

Reese, a native of Atlanta, is entering his second season at the McCallie School in Chattanooga, Tenn. He averaged 15 points, five assists and four rebounds per game in helping McCallie reach the Division II-AA state championship game last year. It was McCallie's first appearance in a state final.

Reese led Westlake, from the Atlanta area, to the Georgia Class AAAAA state final as a sophomore. He moved to Chattanooga after the school year.

ESPN rates Reese a two-star recruit and the ninth-best player in Tennessee.

Reese said he also was offered scholarships by Western Kentucky, Chattanooga, Tennessee Tech and Florida Atlantic. He said he was set to go on an official visit to Mississippi several weeks ago before canceling that in order to visit Southeast.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1783016.html

-- Posted by gazza33 on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 12:22 PM
  • Are the Nutts serious? No, they are Nutts.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sat, Dec 15, 2012, at 11:08 AM
  • Nutt could not guard me and I have not touched a ball in years. Thanks for letting me play pops.

-- Posted by caniplay on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 11:40 AM
  • I have nothing against the nutts but every press confernce after the game coach nutt has to tell everyone what a good job Lucas does. I think he is a smart player but there is no was from what I've seen that he always has such a great game

-- Posted by SemoFan67 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:11 PM
  • He's playing pretty good right now. 22 assists and only 2 turnovers in the last 3 games.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:44 PM
  • I agree with SemoFan67. Its every conference that he says that about his son, but last night they didn't get on the boards until Smith got in but let the Coach tell it Lucus is doing such a good job!!!

-- Posted by semofan17 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:22 PM
  • caniplay...get real....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:24 PM
  • In fairness I agree the his turnover to assist ratio is very good right now. I just see problems with his defense.

-- Posted by SemoFan67 on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:27 AM

Nice thing with Nutt is you know exactly what you're going to get, he's not gonna push it and try winging out a fancy pass, he's gonna get it up there and make the pass he's supposed to, the problem sometimes is his defense. Outplaying the shadow of your father being the coach always takes a little more to be looked upon highly than just normal players. But that's a burden I'm sure Luke well understands about.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:45 AM
  • I imagine if his last name wasn't the same as the coach's name, people wouldn't care nearly as much about the way he plays.

-- Posted by espn_reader on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 1:03 PM
  • But it is...

-- Posted by RedDogs on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 12:13 PM
  • There's no question, the coaching is inadequate and I think even if he wasn't a Nutt people would see the fact that he's not a stellar point guard. That team is a mess, and it's going to get worse.

-- Posted by PunkyPlunk on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 9:09 AM
  • Same old story - not tough enough, can't rebound, can't defend, can't can't have full effort for entire game, guard play is good with Lucas always having a good game. Either they can't coach to teach rebounding or our "bigs" just don't want to. We certainly have the size and some jumping ability. Other teams crash the offensive boards with almost everyone - most of the time we turn and go down to the other end. Agree, Punky, it is a mess and we are not improving like other teams. Wonder if some of the players have quit on the coach....

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 2:10 PM

You guys seem to forget how bad semo was... Coach Nutt made them relavent in the OVC again and they are a young team they are only going to get better so get a hobby and get off Nutt. He has done an extremely good job and the only problem any of you really have with him is that his son is the starting pg and hes not as bad as you think and they have noone better so get over yourself you dont coach basketball for a reason

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 2:31 PM
  • My hobby is going to all SEMO games and I travel to do that 240 miles round trip to support the team since 1981. I have nothing against Lucas + he is the best we have at that position. Check what the coach is saying in his press conferences after the game and I am only repeating what he is keeps repeating + did you read today's article on what they were working on? Agree that the program is much better and I do not expect them to win every game + I sat through many games of terrible teams. I think expectations for the team were higher than they are performing + even the coach is saying that. If the coach is not satisfied then I don't I have to be either. GO REDHAWKS!

-- Posted by SEMO72a on Fri, Feb 1, 2013, at 11:19 AM

I got you... They will be better next year

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sat, Feb 2, 2013, at 12:05 AM
  • I wish more people from our area could have seen the last two games. SEMO broke the record for the most three pointers in the OVC against Austin Pea and tied the Division I record for most three pointers in a game. Then two days later they placed a butt whoopin on Murray State at Murray on their senior night. And Lucas Nutt did a fantastic job against Cannon who will be playing in the league next year. I am not saying they are the favorites in the OVC tournament because they have to win four games but they have the best chance in the last ten years of the program to be dancing in two weeks. If I was any other team in the OVC I would not want to be playing them right now. Watch the games on the OVC digital network and I imagine you might be shocked.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 11:56 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: